Monday, April 5, 2010

Reading: Roland Barthes "The Fashion System"



I found reading the opening chapter a little tricky in that there seemed to be a little lost in translation, but once I got into the swing of the writing it became easier to understand what Barthes was on about.

I quite like Barthes' thinking about the three garments; written, image-clothing and real clothing.
It revealed, for me as a fashion student, that I deal with these three types of garments almost on a daily basis but have never realised that they are seperate entities and that if interchanged with one another can have quite an interesting effect on how to view fashion.

Barthes' exploration of language was particularly interesting when he points out that it is the order and choice of language which establishes a garment by drawing up and image in your mind more so than an image which seems stagnant and lifeless. This thought will help me to appreciate fashion photography when it does evoke emotion and tell the story of a garment, when it's really good!

No comments:

Post a Comment